Degree Structure; 30 credits:
- A beginning course, MALS 70000, Seminar in Interdisciplinary Studies, and a concluding course, MALS 79000, are required. Both are 3 credits.
- Core courses in your concentration are required. Most concentrations have 2 core courses; others have 3 and you need to do 2 of 3. This is another 6 credits.
- This leaves approximately 6 electives. You can take them in MALS or another program at the GC.
- MALS 79000 - Thesis or Capstone + white paper: In order to complete the course and the program, you need to write a thesis of 50-60 pages of text or create a capstone website/creative project with a 20-page white paper of text.
FALL Registration for New Students
- Course descriptions are online.
- August: students meet with advising fellows. (All students are assigned an advising fellow, an advanced Ph.D. student, who will advise them on courses and graduate studies during their career.)
- Registration for new students begins on August 15, 2023.
- First day of Fall 2023 classes is on August 25, 2023.
MALS Student Questionnaire
- All new admits must fill out this form to register for Fall 2023 courses. The deadline to submit this form is before noon on August 10th, 2023.
- All new students must attend a mandatory group advising session and complete the MALS Student Questionnaire in order to have their "advisement hold" lifted and be eligible to register for courses on CUNYfirst.
- You have a CUNYFirst account. This is an online data management system. It’s how you register for classes, pay bills, etc. Please make sure you can login!
- CUNYFirst Empl Id - key number that is needed for just about everything.
- A 6 credit minimum is required to qualify for financial aid.
Support for Student Research, Travel, Internships
- We have some funds to support student research assistantships, travel research, and non-paid internships that you can apply for once you are enrolled. Please email the Liberalstudies@gc.cuny.edu for more information.
- There is lots of information – please review.
- Send general program questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contains important dates for the semester.
- In light of the COVID-19 pandemic please review this link on how to gain building access in.