General Program Learning Goals
By the time they graduate, students in music should be able to demonstrate:
- The ability to produce original research or creative work (composition or performance) as specified in the five areas listed below.
- A readiness to teach advanced courses in their area of specialty and a wide range of introductory-level classes. (Assessed by First and Second Examinations)
- Broad and specialized knowledge, including familiarity with literature in one or more languages other than English, as required by their specific area (see below), and the ability to communicate that knowledge effectively orally and in writing. (Assessed by First and Second Examinations.)
- A grasp of professional ethics in both research and teaching.
- Professional skills and experience that will help them succeed as teachers, scholars, and/or artists.