Building Entry Policy
To enter the Graduate Center and all CUNY sites, students, employees, and visitors must present a valid CUNY Access Pass in Cleared4. All are advised to pull up their Access Pass before entering the Graduate Center to scan at the appropriate kiosk based on status (student/employee; visitor or vendor; ACE student).
To set up your Cleared4 profile and retrieve your Access Pass:
- Find the email that was sent from firstname.lastname@example.org entitled Cleared for CUNY Access. (Check all CUNY and personal accounts if you don’t see it in your Graduate Center account.)
- Click on the personalized link in the email to register on the Cleared4 platform and to access your pass. Note: This link is unique to you and will always bring you to your Cleared4 account for viewing your Access Pass. Do not share this link with anyone else.
- You will be prompted to read and accept the Cleared4 disclaimer before you can claim your Cleared4 account. Click Read and accept disclaimer button.
- Provide the personal information requested.
- Click on the “Show Access Pass” button to access your Cleared4 Access Pass.
You can access your pass at any time by navigating to your personal link from the registration email or text message.
Click the Show Access Pass button.
Your Access Pass has your name, date, and your QR code, which is tied to your profile. You can print this page out, or pull it up on your phone upon entry to a CUNY location.
How to bookmark your CUNY Access Pass on your smartphone:
- Access your pass by navigating to your personal link from the registration email and click the "Show Access Pass" button.
- With your pass open in the browser,
- Android - click on the three-dots icon in your browser to access settings, and click “Add to Homepage”
- iPhone - click on the “Add to Homepage” icon in the bottom menu
- Enter the name of your shortcut and click “Add.” You will now be able to access your pass from the shortcut on your home screen at any time.
Watch this quick how-to video.
Note: To obtain a CUNY Access pass, CUNY students and employees must submit proof of vaccination through CUNYfirst. CUNY Research Foundation employees can access the RF Vaccination Verification system here.
Please see CUNY Access – Cleared4 Guide for Vaccinated CUNY Students, Faculty and Staff on the CUNY IT Help page for detailed information on setting up and using the Cleared4 Access Pass. Cleared4 FAQs are available on the CUNY IT Help page as well.
For questions regarding vaccine status and Cleared4, employees can reach out to the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com. Students with questions about their vaccine status can contact our campus location vaccine authority (LVA) liaisons at firstname.lastname@example.org. The #CantStopCUNY website also has entry policy information.
We encourage everyone to get vaccinated. For those who are not, CUNY has retained Applied DNA Clinical Labs LLC (ADCL) to provide COVID-19 testing on campus. Tests are available to students and employees at no cost. In addition to the site located at the Graduate Center on the first floor, there are 19 other testing sites at locations across CUNY.
Students whose vaccine verification form is pending approval by the Office of Student Affairs, or students who have an approved religious exception or medical exemption will get an email from Cleared4 asking them to sign up for weekly testing. Vaccinated students will be removed from the routine testing program once they upload their vaccination verification form and the form is approved in CUNYfirst. Note that vaccinated individuals may still be called for the random testing program.
Employees who have not yet uploaded their proof of vaccination to CUNYfirst (or approval by Human Resources is pending), will get an email from Cleared4 asking them to sign up for weekly testing. Vaccinated employees who voluntarily upload their vaccination information by signing in to CUNYfirst and clicking on the Vaccine Verification link will be removed from the routine testing program after the documentation has been approved by HR.
Please check all email addresses included in your CUNYfirst profile and your spam folders. The message comes from a “no-reply” email address with the subject line: “Welcome to safeCircle at CUNY.” This email contains your personal invitation link to make a testing appointment at any of the 20 CUNY testing sites, including the Graduate Center or another site that is convenient for you. Appointment scheduling, test results, and other communications will flow through the Cleared4 platform. ADCL uses a PCR test with a nasal swab that is less invasive than the longer-stemmed swabs used elsewhere, but that is still highly sensitive and designed to detect the virus before a person becomes symptomatic and can begin spreading it.
Test results are processed within 24 hours for appointments Monday through Thursday (48-72 hours for Friday appointments and over the weekend). Test results are sent via email.
Systematic testing helps to identify unknown cases so that measures can be taken to prevent further transmission. Unless things change, fully vaccinated individuals with no COVID-19-like symptoms and no known exposure will be exempted from routine screening testing programs, but will take part in the random testing program.
Campus Access for Visitors
To protect the health and safety of the Graduate Center community, CUNY’s visitor policy now requires all visitors to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within the seven days prior to visiting a CUNY site.
Masking (Face Coverings):
Following the March 3, 2022 CDC Recommendations, CUNY lifted the temporary mask mandate that has been in place since August 2021 that required all CUNY students, faculty, staff and visitors to wear masks inside University campuses, office buildings, classrooms and other non-enclosed spaces.
Anyone who would like to continue wearing masks in any setting is welcome to do so at any time. Masks are available to those who need one upon entry.
All students, faculty, and staff coming to the GC or a CUNY campus must continue to monitor their health daily for symptoms of COVID-19. Regardless of your vaccination status, stay home if you are sick. This is true for COVID-19 and other viruses. People with exposure to someone with COVID-19 should wear a mask.
Graduate Center IDs
If you are a new student or a new hire since March 2020 and need a Graduate Center ID, please:
- Email email@example.com from your Graduate Center email address. Put “ID Card” as the subject.
- The email body must contain your name as it appears in CUNYfirst, your program and your mailing address.
- Attach a “passport type headshot” JPEG picture taken within the past six months.
You can also make an appointment to come in to be issued an ID in person by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org from your Graduate Center email address to request a day and time.