- Associate Professor, History
- The Early American Republic; Political History; Nineteenth Century U.S. History
- D.Phil., Oxford University, 1989
- The Oxford Handbook of Revolutionary Elections in the Americas, 1800-1910 (New York: Oxford University Press, 2017)
- The Encyclopedia of American Political History, Volume I: The Colonial Era, 1607-1775, ed. Andrew W. Robertson (Washington: Congressional Quarterly Press, 2010).
- The Language of Democracy: Political Rhetoric in the United States and Britain, 1790-1900
- Co-editor, with Jeffrey L. Pasley and David Waldstreicher, Beyond the Founders: New Approaches to the Political History of the Early American Republic
Articles and Review Essays:
- “Tocqueville and American Democracy: The Meaning of Particulier,” in Contested Democracy: Contestation and Participation in the English-Speaking World (London: Routledge, 2015).
- “The Tortuous Trajectory of Jeffersonian Democracy,” in Practicing Democracy, ed. Daniel Peart and A.I.P. Smith (Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2014).
- “Reconceptualizing Jeffersonian Democracy,” Journal of the Early Republic 33 (2013): 317-334.
- “Democratization” in Jeffrey Pasley, et al. Encyclopedia of American History (New York: Charles Scribner, 2011).
- “The Election of 1800” and “The Election of 1804” in American Presidential Campaigns and Elections: A Reference Guide, edited by Ballard C. Campbell and William G. Shade (Armonk, N.Y.: M. E. Sharpe, March 2003).
- “Political Parties,” “Jacobin Clubs,” “Republican Party,” “Elections,” “Federalist Party,” “Democratic Party,” and “Two-Party System” in Stanley Kutler, et. al., Dictionary of American History, 3rd ed., (Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2002).
- “’Look on This Picture. . . And on This!’: Nationalism, Localism, and Partisan Images of Otherness in the United States, 1787-1820,” American Historical Review, 106 (October 2001): 1263-80.
- “Voting ‘Rites’: The Implications of Deference in Virginia Electioneering Ritual, 1780-1820,” in Articulating America: Fashioning a National Political Culture in Early America, edited by Rebecca Starr (Lanham, Md.: Madison House, 2000), pp. 131-52.
- The Encyclopedia of United States Political History, Vol. 1, The Colonial Period, 1500-1783 Washington: Congressional Quarterly Press, 2010.
- American Antiquarian Society Advisory Board Member, A New Nation Votes, Election Website of the Lampi Collection of Early American Voting Data, 1788-1825
- Society for the History of the Early American Republic (SHEAR) Advisory Council 2007-2009