- Clio in the Classroom: Teaching Women's History [ed. with Margaret Crocco and Barbara Winslow], forthcoming, Oxford University Press.
- Civil War Wives [ Knopf 2009 ].
- Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for American Independence. Knopf, February 2005. Polish Language edition, 2005.
- Looking Forward/Looking Back: A Women's Studies Reader. [ed. with Carole Appel and Judith Pinch.] Prentice Hall, 2005.
- A Brilliant Solution: Inventing the American Constitution. New York: Harcourt 2002 [A History Book Club Selection, 2002; Awarded the Colonial Dames of America Book Prize, 2004] Polish Language edition, 2004; Chinese Language edition, 2004
- Women's Voices/Women's Lives: Documents in Early American Women's History, (Northeastern Univ. Press, 1998)
- First Generations: Women in Colonial America (Hill and Wang, 1996)
- Making America: A History of the U.S. (Houghton Mifflin, 1994).
- Women, War and Revolution (ed. with Clara Lovett. Holmes Meier, 1980).
- Women of America: A History (Ed. with Mary Beth Norton, Houghton Mifflin, 1980) ('Private Woman, Public Woman: the Contradictions of Charlotte Perkins Gilman' in Women of America).
- Jonathan Sewall: Odyssey of an American Loyalist (Columbia University Press, 1974). Nominated, Pulitzer Prize.
- "Clio's Daughters: Southern Colonial Women and Their Historians," in C. Clinton & M. Gillespie eds., The Devil's Lane: Sex and the Early South (Oxford, 1997)
- "Clio in Search of Her Daughters/Women in Search of Their Past, Liberal Education, (1990).
- "Remembering the Ladies: Historians and the Women of the American Revolution," in William Fowler and Wallace Coyle, eds., The American Revolution: Changing Perspectives (Northeastern University Press, 1979).
Works in Progress:
- Colonists in Crisis: Four Loyalists of the American Revolution
- Committee Member, Newcombe Fellowship, Woodrow Wilson, National Fellowship Foundation; awards to studentsto writing of dissertations on subjects relating to religious and ethical issues.
- New York Council for the Humanities, Speakers in the Humanities Program, 1996-98
- Consultant to Northeastern University Press; solicit and recommend mss. for publication by the press.