By appointment (email)
- Philosophy of Mind, especially consciousness, intentionality, sensation, and the self
- Philosophy of Psychology
- Philosophy of Neuroscience
- Philosophy of Language
- Ancient Philosophy
- 17th-Century Rationalism
Courses Recently Taught
- Consciousness and Theory (Spring 2022)
- Quine and Sellars on Thought and Language (Spring 2021)
- Thought, Speech, and Content (Spring 2020)
- Consciousness (Fall 2019)
- Perception and the Hard Problem (Fall 2018)
- Intentionality and the Mental (Spring 2015)
- Mental Qualities (Fall 2015)
- Theories of Consciousness (Spring 2014)
- Descartes (Fall 2012)
- “Mental Appearance and Mental Reality,” in Qualitative Consciousness: Themes from Rosenthal, ed. Josh Weisberg, Cambridge University Press, forthcoming September 2022.
- "There's Nothing about Mary", forthcoming in Classic Arguments: The Knowledge Argument, ed. Sam Coleman, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- "Consciousness and Confidence", Neuropsychologia, in press.
- "Seeming to Seem", in The Philosophy of Daniel Dennett, ed. Bryce Huebner, New York: Oxford University Press, 2018, pp. 133-164.
- "Quality Spaces, Relocation, and Grain", in Sellars and His Legacy, ed. James R. O'Shea, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016, pp. 149-185.
- "René Descartes's Meditations on First Philosophy", Topoi 15, 2 (October 2015): 541-548.
- "Higher-Order Awareness, Misrepresentation, and Function", Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 367, 1594 (May 19, 2012): 1424-1438.
- "Awareness and Identification of Self", Consciousness and the Self: New Essays, ed. JeeLoo Liu and John Perry, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012, pp. 22-50.
- "Empirical Support for Higher-Order Theories of Conscious Awareness", with Hakwan Lau, Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 15, 8 (August 2011): 365-373.
- "How to Think about Mental Qualities", Philosophical Issues: Philosophy of Mind, 20 (October 2010): 368-393.
- "Consciousness and Its Function", Neuropsychologia, 46, 3 (2008): 829-840.
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- President, Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness (ASSC), 2008.
- Visiting Professor, Nihon University, Tokyo, May 2008.
- Visiting Faculty, University of Oxford, June 2003, October 1998, August-September 1996.
- Visiting Fellow, Hanse Wissenschaftskolleg (Universität Bremen), July 1998.
- Resident Fellow, Center for Interdisciplinary Research (ZiF), Universität Bielefeld, 1989-1990
By appointment (email)