- Rudin Professor of Community Health and Interim Associate Dean for Research, Nursing
- Health equity
- genomic medicine and precision health
- health disparities in under-represented, rural and urban populations
- the intersection of health and social science with practical utility in everyday life
- ethical, legal and social issues of genetics and genomics in minority health
Brookdale Campus, W622
- Hunter College
Urban and rural populations, community based and community-engaged research, mentoring of under-represented students and faculty, empowering communities to develop citizen scientists and partnering communities with academic institutions.
Interactive instruction, foundational and conceptual models of health, medical-surgical, fundamentals, critical care and emergency nursing, public health preparedness.
Ethical, Legal and Social Issues in heath and health care of minority populations.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- Ethical, Legal and Social Issues of Genetic and Genomic Medicine and Health
- Concepts and Frameworks
- Community-Engaged and Community-Based Research Methods
- Cohn, E.G. (1996; 2003;2009;2012) Flip and See ECG, 1-4th editions, Mosby-Elsevier, Atlanta, GA.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Ogbolua, Y., Ford, J., Cohn, E.G. & Gillespie, G.L. (2017). Nurses on the move: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation nurse faculty scholars and their action on the social determinants of health. Ethnicity and Health. In Press.
- Bowen, F. & Cohn, E.G. (2017). Addressing the needs of the 21st Century Nurse Leader via the RWJF NFS Program. In press in Nursing Outlook.
- Gonzalez-Guarda, R.M., Jones, E.J., Cohn, E. G., Gillespie, G.L., & Bowen, F. (2016). Advancing Nursing Science Through Community Advisory Boards: Working Effectively Across Diverse Communities.Advances in Nursing Science. Published on-line before print edition. PMID. 27930402
- Cohn, E. G., Henderson, G., Appelbaum, P.S. (2016). Distributive Justice, Diversity and Inclusion in Precision Medicine: What will success look like? Genetics in Medicine. Published on-line before print Aug. 04, 2016 doi:10.1038/gim.2016.92
- Travers, J., Smaldone, A., Cohn, E.G. (2015). Does State Legislation Improve Nursing Workforce Diversity? Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice. Aug;16(3-4):109-16. doi: 10.1177/1527154415599752. PMID: 26351214
- Larson EL, Lally R, Foe G, Joaquin G, Meyer DD, Cohn E.G. (2015) Feb 10. Improving the Proficiency of Research Consent Administrators. Clinical Translational Science. doi: 10.1111/cts.12252.
- Ravenell J, Leighton-Herrmann E, Abel-Bey A, DeSorbo A, Teresi J, Valdez L, Gordillo M, Gerin W, Hecht M, Ramirez M, Noble J, Cohn E., Jean-Louis G, Spruill T, Waddy S, Ogedegbe G, Williams O. (2015). Tailored approaches to stroke health education (TASHE): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. Apr 19;16(1):176. doi:10.1186/s13063-015-0703-4.PMID: 25927452
- Oberg JA, Glade Bender JL, Cohn E.G., Morris M, Ruiz J, Chung WK, Appelbaum PS, Kung AL, Levine JM. (2015) Overcoming challenges to meaningful informed consent for whole genome sequencing in pediatric cancer research. Pediatric Blood Cancer. doi: 10.1002/pbc.25520. PMID: 25832998
- Cohn, E.G., Husamudeen, M., Larson, E.L., Williams, J.K. (2014). Increasing Participation in Genomic Research and Biobanking through community-based capacity building. Journal of Genetic Counseling. doi: 10.1007/s10897-014-9768-6. PMID: 25228357
- Kulage, K.M., Smaldone, A.M. Cohn, E.G. (2014). How will DSM-5 Affect Autism Diagnosis? A systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Journal of Autism Developmental Disorders (2014) Aug; 44(8):1918-32. doi: 10.1007/s10803-014-2065-2
- Dunn-Navarra, AM, Toussi, SS, Cohn, E.G., Neu, N., Larson, E.L. (2013). Measuring media use in college students with and without human immunodeficiency virus infection. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. SO891-5245(13)00234-4.
- Cohn, E.G., Williams, O., Sawyer, V., Araujo, C., Larson, E. (2012). Calorie postings in chain restaurants in a low-income urban neighborhood: measuring practical and legislative compliance. Journal of Urban Health. Aug; 89(4)587-97. PMID 22350515.
- Cohn, E.G., Jia, H., Smith, W.C., Erwin, K., & Larson, E.L. (2011). Measuring the process and quality of informed consent for clinical research: development and testing. Oncology Nursing Forum, 38(4), 417-422.
- Pogorzelska, M. Stone, P.W., Cohn, E.G., & Larson, E. (2010). Change in the institutional review board submission process for multicenter research over 6 years. Nursing Outlook, 58(4), 181-187.
- Larson, E.L., Cohn, E.G., Meyer, D.D. & Boden-Albala, B. (2009). Consent administrator training to reduce disparities in research participation. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 41(1), 95-103.
- Cohn, E.G., Jia, H. & Larson, E.L. (2009). Evaluation of statistical approaches in quantitative nursing research. Clinical Nursing Research, 18(3), 223-241.
- Cohn, E. (2007). Including marginalized populations in HIV clinical trials: A new role for nurse researchers. Policy, Politics and Nursing, 8(4), 271-275.
- Cohn, E. & Larson, E. (2007). Improving participant comprehension in the informed consent process. The Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 39(3), 273-280.
- Greenfield, S., Whelan, B. & Cohn, E. (2006). A Standardized Educational Approach to Reduce Medication Errors. Journal of Nursing Education, 45(2), 91-94.
- Cohn, E. Gershenson, T., Kuzniewski, S., et. al. (2002). A Heart Healthy Habit A Day, Helps Keep the Doctor Away. Pediatric Nursing, 28, 175-177.
- Jacobs, M., Hussain, E., Hall, M. & Cohn, E. (1999). Stranger in a Strange Land: Internists in Cardiothoracic Intensive Care, New Horizons, 7, 562-568.
- Cohn, E. Gershenson, T., Somerville, S., et al. (1999). Tilling the Soil: Nurturing the Seeds of Patient and Family Education. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 13(6), 83-91.
- Cohn, E. (1997). One Pinch. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 29(5), 609-691.
- Cohn, E. (1994). A Pocket guide to Lab Work. RN, 9, 35-37.
- Cohn, E. & Cohn, B. (1994) Limiting Liability in Pre-hospital Care, Emergency, 1, 43-50.
- Cohn, E., & Skopicki, H.A. (1995; 2004). Toxicology. In Traynor, O., Coonan, P., Rahilly, T., & Rubins, J. (Eds.), The Streetmedic’s Handbook 2ed edition. Chapter 15 pages 127-138; Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis.
- Cohn, E. (1997). In O’toole, M. (Ed.), The Miller Keane Encyclopedia & Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Allied Health (6th Edition) (multiple entries). Philadelphia. PA: W.B. Saunders/Harcourt Health Sciences.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Columbia University
- Master's in Nursing, and Adult Health and Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, SUNY Stony Brook
- Bachelor’s Degree, Sociology, SUNY Purchase
- Associates Degree, Registered Nurse, Nassau Community College
Brookdale Campus, W622
- Hunter College