Gary Ostertag works primarily on questions in the philosophy of language and in certain overlapping topics in metaphysics (e.g., the nature of propositions and the metaphysics of relations). He also works in the history of analytic philosophy, with a focus on the writings of Bertrand Russell and of Russell’s Cambridge contemporary, E.E. Constance Jones. Another area of interest is in philosophy of music, particularly the metaphysics of musical works.
One of Ostertag’s current projects concerns women’s contributions to the history of early analytic philosophy. He is at work on a monograph on E.E. Constance Jones’s ethics and philosophical logic and is editing a volume of essays on women’s contributions to analytic philosophy in Britain and America from 1885-1930.
Courses Recently Taught
- Knowing How (Spring 2013)
- Descriptions (Spring 2012)
- Propositions (Spring 2011)
- E. E. Constance Jones on Identity and Predication. In Jeanne Peijnenburg and Sander Verhaegh (eds.), Women in the History of Analytic Philosophy. Springer, forthcoming.
- “You are an I”: Elizabeth Bishop’s “In the Waiting Room”. In Patricia Kitcher (ed.) The Self: A History. Oxford University Press, 2021.
- E. E. Constance Jones on the Dualism of Practical Reason (with Amanda Favia). British Journal for the History of Philosophy 29 (2021), 346-342 (special issue, Nineteenth-Century Women Philosophers in Britain and America)
- Emily Elizabeth Constance Jones, The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2020 (originally published, 2011).
- Fine on Frege’s Puzzle. In Metaphysics, Meaning, and Modality: Themes from Kit Fine, Mircea Dumitru (ed.). Oxford University Press, 2020
- Pleonastic Propositions and De Re Belief. Philosophical Studies 177 (2020): 3529-3547
- The Analytic Tradition in Philosophy. Analysis 79:3 (2019): 560–571
- Cruelty and Kinds: Scalia and Dworkin on the Constitutionality of Capital Punishment. Inquiry 61:4 (2018): 422-443.
- Propositions and the Logical Form of Predication. Synthese 196:4 (2018): 1475–1499
- Introduction and “Propositional Platitudes,” in Gary Ostertag, ed., Meanings and Other Things: Themes from Stephen Schiffer. (Oxford University Press, 2016)
- “Russell and Quine.” In Gilbert Harman and Ernest Lepore (eds.), A Companion to W.V.O. Quine (Blackwell, 2014).
- Two Aspects of Propositional Unity. The Canadian Journal of Philosophy 43 (2013): 518-533.
- “The ‘Gödel’ Effect.” Philosophical Studies 166 (2013), 65-82.
- Critical Study of Julian Dodd, Works of Music. Noûs 46 (2012): 355-74
- A Puzzle about Disbelief. The Journal of Philosophy 102 (2005): 573-93.
- Has the Problem of Incompleteness rested on a Mistake? (with Ray Buchanan) Mind 114 (2005): 889-913.
Awards and Grants
- SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship, 2007