- Professor, Philosophy
- Moral Psychology, Chinese Philosophy, Metaethics, Cognitive Science of Religion
- MA University of Toronto; PhD Duke
Recent Courses Taught
Ethics and Agency in Classical Chinese Thought, Spring 2021
Chinese Philosophy, Fall 2018
- Sarkissian, H. (forthcoming) “Me-knowledge and effective agency.” Oxford Studies in Epistemology. Edited by Julianne Chung
- Sarkissian, H. (forthcoming) “Confucianism and ritual.” Oxford Handbook of Confucianism. Edited by Jennifer L. Oldstone-Moore
- Sarkissian, H. (2022) “Meta-theories, interpretability, and human nature–A reply to J. David Velleman.” Philosophy East & West 72.1:252-257
- Sarkissian, H. (2022) “Well-functioning daos and moral relativism.” Philosophy East & West 72.1:230-247
- Sarkissian, H. (2020). Skill and expertise in three schools of classical Chinese thought. In E. Fridland & C. Pavese (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Skill and Expertise. Routledge.
- Sarkissian, H and Phelan, M. 2019. “Moral objectivism and a punishing God.” Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 80:1-7
- Sarkissian, H. 2018. “Neo-Confucianism, experimental philosophy, and the trouble with intuitive methods.” British Journal for the History of Philosophy 26.5:812-828
- De Freitas, J., Sarkissian, H., Newman, G.E., Grossmann, I., De Brigard, F., Luco, A., and Knobe, J. 2018. “Consistent belief in a good true self in misanthropes and three interdependent cultures.” Cognitive Science (S1):134-160
- Sarkissian, H. 2017. “Folk platitudes as the explananda of philosophical metaethics: Are they accurate? And do they help or hinder inquiry?” Journal of Indian Council of Philosophical Research 34:565-575
- Sarkissian, H. 2017. “Situationism, manipulation, and objective self-awareness.” Ethical Theory and Moral Practice 20:489–503
- Knobe, J., Buckwalter, W., Robbins, P., Sarkissian, H., Sommers, T., and Nichols, S. 2012. “Experimental philosophy.” Annual Review of Psychology 63.1:81-99
- Sarkissian, H., Park, J., Tien, D., Wright, J., Knobe, J. 2011. Folk moral relativism. Mind & Language, 26(4), 482-505.
- Sarkissian, H. 2010. “The darker side of Daoist primitivism” The Journal of Chinese Philosophy 37.2:312-329
- Sarkissian, H. 2010. Confucius and the effortless life of virtue. History of Philosophy Quarterly 27(1), 1-16.
- Sarkissian, H. 2010. Minor tweaks, major payoffs: The problems and promise of situationism in moral philosophy. Philosopher’s Imprint 10(9), 1-15.