- Biophysics, Brain, Retina, Multiphoton Microscopy, Glaucoma, Neurodegenerative Disorders, Intravital Microscopy, Transcriptional Dynamics
- Ph.D. in Applied Physics and Engineering, Cornell University
Professor Hyungsik Lim is interested in understanding neurodegenerative disorders from a biophysical perspective, using multiphoton microscopy (MPM) as the primary tool for imaging the intravital mouse brain (Lim, Front. Mol. Bio. 2019). Innovating advanced imaging modalities has been the theme of his research since postdoctoral training. While at the Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Lim demonstrated novel swept-source optical coherence tomography (OCT) for imaging the human retina in vivo, achieving the record for the highest speed (Lim et al., Opt. Express 2006). In the laboratory of Dr. Watt W. Webb at Cornell University, where MPM was invented, he studied the fundamental limits in the miniaturization of MPM toward clinical endoscopy. Now in his lab at CUNY Hunter College, Lim and his colleagues study novel concepts for elucidating neurodegenerative disorders including glaucoma. It was also in the Webb lab that his research interest on single-molecule biophysics began. Recently during a sabbatical year 2017-2018, Lim was a visiting associate professor in the laboratory of R. H. Singer working on intravital imaging of single-molecule gene expression, which he continues at CUNY.
- H. Lim, "Harmonic generation microscopy 2.0: New tricks empowering intravital imaging for neuroscience", Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences, 6, 99 (2019).
- M. J. Redlich and H. Lim, "A Method to measure myeloarchitecture of the murine cerebral cortex in vivo and ex vivo by intrinsic third-harmonic generation", Frontiers in Neuroanatomy, 13, 65 (2019).
- C. Nwokafor, R.H. Singer, and H. Lim, " Imaging cell-type-specific dynamics of mRNAs in living mouse brain", Methods, 157, 100-105 (2019).
- D. Sharoukhov, F. Bucinca-Cupallari, and H. Lim, "Microtubule imaging reveals cytoskeletal deficit predisposing the retinal ganglion cell axons to atrophy in DBA/2J", Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Science, 59, 5292-5300 (2018).
- J. Colon and H. Lim, "Shaping field for 3D laser scanning microscopy", Optics Letters 40, 3300-3303 (2015).
- H. Lim, D. Sharoukhov, I. Kassim, Y. Zhang, J.L. Salzer, C. V. Melendez-Vasquez, "Label-free imaging of Schwann cell myelination by third harmonic generation microscopy", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 111, 18025-18030 (2014).
- H.Y. Park, H. Lim, Y.J. Yoon, A. Follenzi, C. Nwokafor, M. Lopez-Jones, X. Meng, and R.H. Singer, "Visualization of dynamics of single endogenous mRNA labeled in live mouse", Science 343, 422-424 (2014).