- Gelb, Joyce
- Professor, Women's and Gender Studies
- Women's movements and public policy impact in comparative perspective; special focus on U.S., Japan and England.
Joyce Gelb is Professor Emerita of Political Science at City College and the Graduate Center, City University of NY. She published Gender Policies in Japan and the United States: Comparing Women’s Movements ,Rights and Politics (Palgrave , 2003) and Women and Politics Around the World, co- edited with Marian Palley (ABC-CLIO, 2009). Her article on “Women’s Leadership In Japan and Taiwan” appeared in O’Connor ed. Gender and Women’s Leadership (Sage, 2010). “Gender Equity in Japan” in James D Babb, ed. Sage Handbook of Modern Japanese Studies and “Gender Policy and Leadership” in Mino Vianello and Mary Hawkesworth eds., Gender and Power :Toward Equality and Democratic Governance,(Palgrave Macmillan), both in 2015. She was quoted in the New York Times about gender and politics in Taiwan in 2014. She has been on Japanese television and in their print and on-line press on numerous occasions in the last several years
- “Gender Equality Policy in Japan” in Sage Handbook on Japanese Studies. Ed. James Babb. London: Sage, 2015.
- Review article, Journal of Women's Policy Research 36 (2014): 128-31.
- Gender Policies in Japan and the United States: Comparing Women's Movements Rights and Politics. Palgrave Macmillan, 2003.
- “Feminist Politics in a Hostile Environment: Obstacles and Opportunities.” How Do Social Movements Matter. Ed. by Giugni, McAdam and Tilly. Univ of Minn Press, 1999.
- Women of Japan and Korea. Temple, 1994.
- Feminism and Politics. California, 1989.
- Women and Public Policies. Princeton: UV Press, 1982, 1987, 1996.
Talks and Interviews:
- Sept 11, 2015, quoted in the NYT in an article on Women in Taiwanese politics.
- 2015, quoted on women’s employment in Japan by Rick Katz in the Oriental Economist.
- July 2015, spoke at the International Public Policy Conference in Milan on gender equality policy in Japan and Taiwan.
- August 2014, gave paper on "Gender Policy and Leadership : Comparing Japan and Taiwan" Venice, forthcoming in Gender and Democracy, Ed. Hawksworth and Vianello, Palgrave Maclmillan, 2015.
- July 2014, gave paper in "Child Care in the US Military: Model for the US and other Nations?" International Political Science Assn, Montreal, Canada.
- July 13, 2014, interviewed by Japanese media on stalking and sexual harassment; appeared on Japanese television regarding the former with a panel, interview was reported in Kyodo News and the Japan Times.
- June 2014, participated in conference "Crossing Borders" Stocklholm, Sweden.
- June 2014, gave a lecture on women in Politics in Japan and Taiwan, SOAS (Oriental and Asian Studies ) University of London.
Oct-Dec 2014, Taiwan Fellow, spent 2 1/2 months in Taiwan doing research on women in the executive branch.