- Professor, Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Professor, Sociology
- Environmental sociology; environmental justice; sustainable development; social movements
- Ph.D., Sociology, Northwestern University, 1991
- Brooklyn College
Gould is professor of sociology and director of the Urban Sustainability Program, Brooklyn College, and professor of sociology, and earth and environmental sciences, CUNY Graduate Center. His work focuses on the political economy of environment, technology and development, and is best known for its contribution to the Treadmill of Production model of socioenvironmental dynamics. He has published numerous articles examining the responses of communities to environmental problems, the role of inequality in environmental conflicts, and the impacts of globalization on sustainable development efforts. He is co-author of Environment and Society: The Enduring Conflict, Local Environmental Struggles, The Treadmill of Production: Injustice & Unsustainability in the Global Economy, Twenty Lessons in Environmental Sociology, Thirty Readings in Introductory Sociology, and Ten Lessons in Introductory Sociology. His recent work examines nanotechnology, ecotourism, and green gentrification.
- "Unsustainable Science in the Treadmill of Production: The Declining Salience of Impacts Science in Environmental Conflicts in the U.S." in Experts and Campaigners: Scientific Information and Collective Action in Socio-Ecological Conflicts. Edited by Mercedes Martinez-Iglesias. University of Valencia Press. 2014.
- Gould, Kenneth A. and Tammy L. Lewis. Ten Lessons in Introductory Sociology. Oxford University Press. 2014.
- Gould, Kenneth and Tammy L. Lewis. Twenty Lessons in Environmental Sociology, 2nd ed. Oxford University Press. 2014.
- "The Environmental Injustice of Green Gentrification: The Case of Brooklyn’s Prospect Park” in The World in Brooklyn: Gentrification, Immigration, and Ethnic Politics in a Global City. Judith DeSena and Timothy Shortell, editors. Lexington Books. 2012. With Tammy L. Lewis.
- Brooklyn College