- Associate Professor, Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Volcanology; igneous petrology
- PhD, Trinity College Dublin, 2009
My research interests lie where volcanology and igneous petrology mingle and mix. In the field, I examine and sample tephra and lava sequences to reconstruct the eruptive histories of volcanoes. In the lab, I analyze the chemical composition of volcanic rocks and their constituents (volcanic glass, minerals and their inclusions) to decipher the dynamics of magma reservoir and eruption processes, such as magma differentiation, mixing and degassing.
- Beaudry, P., M.-A. Longpré, R. Economos, B. Wing, T. H. Bui, and J. Stix (2018), Degassing-induced fractionation of multiple sulphur isotopes unveils post-Archaean recycled oceanic crust signal in hotspot lava, Nature Communications, 9, 5093, doi: 10.1038/s41467-018-07527-w.
- Longpré, M.-A., J. Stix, A. Klügel, and N. Shimizu (2017), Mantle to surface degassing of carbon- and sulphur-rich alkaline magma at El Hierro, Canary Islands, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 460, 268–280, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2016.11.043.
- Klügel, A., M-A Longpré, L. García-Cañada, and J. Stix (2015), Deep intrusions, lateral magma transport and related uplift at ocean island volcanoes, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 431, 140-149, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2015.09.031.
- Longpré, M.-A., J. Stix, C. Burkert, T. H. Hansteen, and S. Kutterolf (2014), Sulfur budget and global climate impact of the AD 1835 eruption of Cosigüina volcano, Nicaragua, Geophysical Research Letters, 41, doi:10.1002/2014GL061205.
- Longpré, M.-A., J. Stix, F. Costa, E. Espinoza and A. Muñoz (2014), Magmatic processes and associated timescales leading to the January 1835 eruption of Cosigüina volcano, Nicaragua, Journal of Petrology, 55, 1171-1201, doi: 10.1093/petrology/egu022.
- Longpré, M.-A., A. Klügel, A. Diehl, and J. Stix (2014), Mixing in mantle magma reservoirs prior to and during the 2011-2012 eruption at El Hierro, Canary Islands, Geology, 42, 315-318, doi: 10.1130/g35165.1.
- Helo, C., M.-A. Longpré, N. Shimizu, D. Clague, and J. Stix (2011), Explosive eruptions on mid-ocean ridges driven by CO2-rich magmas, Nature Geoscience, 4, 260-263, doi:10.1038/ngeo1104.
- Manconi, A., M.-A. Longpré, T. R. Walter, V. R. Troll, and T. H. Hansteen (2009), The effects of flank collapses on volcano plumbing systems, Geology, 37, 1099-1102, doi: 10.1130/G30104A.1.