- Professor, Psychology
- Professor, Linguistics
- Proofreading, Language acquisition, Computational linguistics
- Ph. D. in Psychology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Hunter College
Martin Chodorow received his Ph.D. in cognitive psychology (psycholinguistics) from MIT. Following a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in computational linguistics at IBM’s Thomas Watson Research Center, he joined the faculty of Hunter College and the Graduate Center, where he is Professor of Psychology and Linguistics. His research focuses on three areas – proofreading, language acquisition, and automated evaluation of writing. He has served as a consultant for IBM, Princeton University’s Cognitive Science Laboratory, and Educational Testing Service.
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- Association for Computational Linguistics
- Linguistic Society of America
- Association for Psychological Science
- Psychonomic Society
- Cognitive Science Society
- Cognitive Psychology
- Statistics for Linguistics Research
- Xu, Q, Markowska, M., Chodorow, M., & Li, P. (2021). A Network Science Approach to Bilingual Code-switching. Proceedings of the Society for Computation in Linguistics, 4(1), 18-27. https://scholarworks.umass.edu/scil/vol4/iss1/3.
- Ma, X., Chodorow, M., & Valian, V. (2020). Learning Pronoun Case from Distributional Cues: Flexible Frames for Case Acquisition. Proceedings of the Workshop on Cognitive Modeling and Computational Linguistics, 66-74. Online. Association for Computational Linguistics. https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/2020.cmcl-1.9 .
- Garrison-Fletcher, L., Martohardjono, G., & Chodorow, M. (2019) Impact of home language reading skills on L2 reading comprehension: A study of newcomer emergent bilinguals, International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, DOI: 10.1080/13670050.2019.1671307
- Cahill, A., Chodorow, M., & Flor, M. (2018). Developing an e-rater advisory to detect Babel-generated essays. Journal of Writing Analytics, 2, 203-224.
- Somasundaran, S., Flor, M., Chodorow, M., Molloy, H., Gyawali, B., & McCulla, L. (2018) Towards evaluating narrative quality in student writing. Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics, 6, 91-106.
- Lee, Y.-W., Chodorow, M., & Gentile, C. (2016). Investigating patterns of writing errors for different L1 groups through error-coded ESL learners’ essays. Foreign Languages Education, 23(1), 169-190.
- Hunter College