- Professor, Philosophy
- Philosophy of Science
- Philosophy of Biology
- Relationship between Science and Religion
- Philosophy of Pseudoscience
- Ph.D. University of Connecticut
- Ph.D. University of Tennessee
- Hume's Philosophy of Science, Then and Now (Spring 2014)
- Philosophy of Science or Science Studies? (Fall 2012)
- Science vs. Pseudoscience (Fall 2010)
- Nonsense on Stilts: How to Tell Science from Bunk, University of Chicago Press, 2010.
- Evolution – the Extended Synthesis. Co-Edited with Gerd Muller, MIT Press, 2010.
- Making Sense of Evolution: The Conceptual Foundations of Evolutionary Biology, University of Chicago Press, 2006.
- Denying Evolution: Creation, Scientism, and the Nature of Science, Sinauer, 2002.
- Phenotypic Plasticity: Beyond Nature and Nurture, Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001.
- "Genotype–phenotype mapping and the end of the ‘genes as blueprint’ metaphor." Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. B (2010) 365: 557–566.
- "Samir Okasha: Evolution and the levels of selection." Biology and Philosophy (2009) 24:551–560.
- "An Extended Synthesis for Evolutionary Biology." Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. (2009) 1168: 218–228.
- "What, if Anything, Is an Evolutionary Novelty?" Philosophy of Science(2008) 75:887–898.
- "The Proper Role of Population Genetics in Modern Evolutionary Theory." Biological Theory (2008) 3:316–324.
- "The Borderlands Between Science and Philosophy: An Introduction." Quarterly Review of Biology (2008) 83:7-15.
- "Sewall Wright’s adaptive landscapes: 1932 vs. 1988." Biology and Philosophy (2008) 23:591–603.
- "Is evolvability evolvable?" Nature Genetics (2008) 9:75-82.