- Associate Professor, English
- Associate Professor, Liberal Studies
- Associate Professor, Digital Humanities
- Associate Professor, Data Analysis and Visualization
- Associate Professor, Interactive Technology and Pedagogy
- Associate Professor, American Studies
- Director, Graduate Center Digital Initiatives
- Digital Humanities
- Digital Publishing and Scholarly Communication
- Digital Pedagogy
- Textual Studies
- Nineteenth-century American Literature and Visual Culture
- Ph.D., Graduate Center, CUNY
Matthew K. Gold is Associate Professor of English and Digital Humanities at the Graduate Center, where he holds teaching appointments in the Ph.D. Program in English; the M.A. Programs in Digital Humanities and Liberal Studies; the M.S. Program in Data Analysis and Visualization; and the doctoral certificate programs in Interactive Technology and Pedagogy and American Studies. He serves as Advisor to the Provost for Digital Initiatives, and he is Director of the M.A. Program in Digital Humanities and the M.S. Program in Data Analysis and Visualization. He also founded and directs the CUNY Academic Commons and the GC Digital Scholarship Lab. He edited Debates in the Digital Humanities (Minnesota, 2012) and, with Lauren F. Klein (with whom he is co- editor of the Debates in the Digital Humanities book series), co-edited Debates in the Digital Humanities 2016 and Debates in the Digital Humanities 2019.
His collaborative digital humanities projects, including Looking for Whitman, Commons In A Box (with the CUNY Academic Commons team), Social Paper (with Erin Glass), DH Box (with Stephen Zweibel), and Manifold Scholarship (with Doug Armato, Susan Doerr, Zach Davis, and the Manifold Team) have been supported by grants from the NEH Office of Digital Humanities, the National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Education, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and the Ford Foundation.
- Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities: Concepts, Models, and Experiments [digitalpedagogy.hcommons.org], Co-General Editor, with Rebecca Frost Davis, Katherine D. Harris, and Jentery Sayers, Modern Language Association.
- With Rebecca Frost Davis and Katherine D. Harris. “Curating Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities [digitalpedagogy.hcommons.org].” Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities, eds. Rebecca Frost Davis, Matthew K. Gold, Katherine D. Harris, and Jentery Sayers. New York: Modern Language Association, 2020.
- “The Syllabus as a Shared Negotiation [syllabusjournal.org].” Syllabus Vol. 9, No. 1 (2020).
- Special Issue Editor, with Rebecca Frost Davis and Katherine D. Harris: “The State of the Syllabus.” Syllabus Vol. 9, No. 1 (2020).
- Gold, Matthew K. and Klein, Lauren F., Ed., Debates in the Digital Humanities 2019. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2019. Includes Gold, Matthew K. and Klein, Lauren F., "A DH That Matters."
- Buurma, Rachel Sagner and Matthew K. Gold. "Contemporary Proposals about Reading in the Digital Age." Blackwell Companion to Literary Theory, ed. David H. Richter. New York: Wiley, 2018.
- Gold, Matthew K. and Klein, Lauren F., Ed., Debates in the Digital Humanities 2016. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2016. Includes Klein, Lauren F. and Gold, Matthew K., "Digital Humanities: The Expanded Field."
- With Jessie Daniels and the InQ13 Collective. “The InQ13 POOC: A Participatory Experiment in Open, Collaborative Teaching and Learning.” Journal of Interactive Technology and Pedagogy. Issue 5, Spring/Summer 2014."
- “The Digital Humanities.” The Johns Hopkins Guide to Digital Media, ed. Lori Emerson, Benjamin Robertson, and Marie-Laure Ryan. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2014.
- Gold, Matthew K., Ed., Debates in the Digital Humanities. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2012.
- “Looking for Whitman: A Multi-Campus Experiment in Digital Pedagogy.” Digital Humanities Pedagogy: Practices, Principles, and Politics, ed. Brett D. Hirsch. Cambridge: Open Book Publishers, 2012.
- “The Digital Humanities Moment.” Debates in the Digital Humanities. Ed. Matthew K. Gold. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2012.
- With Jim Groom, “Looking for Whitman: A Grand, Aggregated Experiment.” Debates in the Digital Humanities. Ed. Matthew K. Gold. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2012.
- “Beyond Friending: BuddyPress and the Social, Networked, Open-Source Classroom.” Learning Through Digital Media: Experiments in Technology and Pedagogy. Ed. Trebor Scholz. New York: Institute for Distributed Creativity, 2011.
- With George Otte, “The CUNY Academic Commons: Fostering Faculty Use of the Social Web.” Online Social Networking as a Site for Learning. Spec. issue of On the Horizon. 19.1 (2011).
- “Becoming Book-Like: Bob Stein and The Future of the Book.” Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy. 15.2 (Spring 2011).
- “Breaking All the Rules: <HR> and the Aesthetics of Online Space.” From A to <A>: Keywords of Markup. Eds. Bradley Dilger and Jeff Rice. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2010.
- “The Expert Hand and the Obedient Heart: T.S. Eliot, Dr. Vittoz, and the Therapeutic Possibilities of The Waste Land.” The Journal of Modern Literature, vol. XXIII, no. 3-4 (Summer 2000): 519-534.
- DH: A Short Guide to the Digital Humanities, Johns Hopkins University Press.