- Herder to Statesman (Rowman & Littlefield, 2010)
- The Mongols and Global History (W. W. Norton, 2010)
- Modern Mongolia: From Khans to Commissars to Capitalists (University of California Press, 2005)
- Khubilai Khan: His Life and Times (University of California Press, 1988)
- Contributor and Editor, China Among Equals: The Middle Kingdom and Its Neighbors, 10th to 14th Centuries. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1983.
- The Jurchens in the Yuan and Ming. Ithaca: Cornell University, 1982.
- China and Inner Asia (Universe Books, 1975)
- Editor of Governing China's Multi-Ethnic Frontiers (University of Washington Press, forthcoming) and a contributor to several volumes of the Cambridge History of China.
"Ch ' en Ch ' en ' s Hsi-yu fan-kuo chih: A Translation," Ming Studies (1983), pp.49-60.
"Islam in China" in M. Eliade, ed., Encyclopedia of Religion. New York: Macmillan Co., 1987, vol. 7, pp.377 - 390.
"Chinese Myths About the National Minorities: The Case of Khubilai," Central and Inner Asian Studies, (1987) pp.47 - 81.
10 entries in Ainslee Embree, ed., Encyclopedia of Religion. New York: Macmillan Co., 1987.