- Associate Professor, Comparative Literature
- Associate Professor, Global Early Modern Studies
- 16th and 17th Italian Literature
- Ph.D. in Italian Studies at the University of Toronto
Paolo Fasoli received his "Laurea in Lettere" at the Universita di Roma II-Tor Vergata, and his Ph.D. in Italian Studies at the University of Toronto. His research interests focus on 16th and 17th Italian literature, and in particular on lyric poetry (Chiabrera, Marino), and on the prose novel (from Pietro Aretino to the Baroque). Recently, he has been studying the relationships between the Italian "Proto-Libertine" experience (Ferrante Pallavicino, the Accademia degli Incogniti) and the further developments of the Libertine movement in Europe. He is also interested in late-Renaissance and early-Baroque literary theory (the debates on the epic code; the Italian contribution to the early stages of the Querelle des Anciens et des Modernes), and in the history of metrics and versification.
- Mercurio: A Reader in Italian Language and Culture. Co-author with Andrea Fedi. New Haven and London: Yale U.P., 2005.
- Ferrante Pallavicino: The Whores' Rhetoric / The Postman Robbed. Ed. by Paolo Fasoli. (contains the monographic essay: "A Rake's Progress: Ferrante and Early Libertinism"). Toronto: University of Toronto Press (accepted for publication).
- Giambattista Fregoso. Anteros. Ed. by Massimo Ciavolella and Paolo Fasoli. Lucca: Pacini-Fazzi (Forthcoming).
Articles and essays
- Entries on: Catherine II of Russia; Medusa; Romeo and Juliet; Political Satire; Ovid. In Gale Encyclopedia of Sex and Gender (forthcoming).
- "I would rather drown than not find new world(s)". Culture and Authority in the Baroque. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2005. 73-84.
- "Paolo Segneri e l'oratoria sacra secentesca". Forum Italicum. 35.1 (2001), 261-274.
- " 'Or udirete, che Dio vi conduca'. Considerazioni sulla Spagna in rima". Quaderni d'Italianistica. 21.1 (2000), 83-104.
- " Note su antichi testi aquilani". Quaderni d'italianistica. 19.1 (1998), 93-101.
- "Con la penna della fragilitá. Considerazioni sull'Aretino ascetico." Atti del convegno internazionale su Pietro Aretino. Rome: Salerno, 1995-1996. VOL II, 112-125.
- "Non Prima ebbe favella, che vena: preliminari per un discorso su Marino e Chiabrera". The Sense of Marino, ed. Francesco Guardiani. New York-Ottawa-Toronto: Legas, 1994. 345-60.
- "Il doppio, la metamorfosi, il transito. Peripezie dell'essere nel personaggio narrativo del Seicento." Critica letteraria 76 (1992): 449-78.
Recent or Forthcoming Lectures
- Annual Conference of the American Association for Italian Studies, Genova, May 2006. Paper's title "Per sollievo dell'umanita": sulla Retorica delle puttane di Ferrante Pallavicino.
- Aretino and the Libertine Tradition. UCLA Center for 17th and 18th Century Studies- The Clark Library. Los Angeles, May 14-15, 2004. Paper's title: "This ill-born, asinine, rotten piece of impious flesh": Elements of Anti-Aretinian Rhetoric.
- Annual Conference of the American Association for Italian Studies, Washington, D.C., April 2003. Paper's title: The Meanderings of a No-global Renaissance Hero: Luther Blissett's Q.
- Comp. Lit. 71000: "Tasso's Jerusalem Delivered, and the Remaking of the Epic Code in Late Renaissance Poetics" (Spring 2005).