- Faculty, History
- British, Gay & Lesbian History
"Modern Sodomy: The Origins of Homosexuality, 1700-1800," and "Renaissance Sodomy, 1500-1700," A Gay History of Britain: Love and Sex Between Men Since the Middle Ages, Matt Cook, Robert Mills, Randolph Trumbach and H.G. Cocks (Oxford: Greenwood World Publishing, 2007), chap. 2, pp. 45-75, 227-230.
Sex and the Gender Revolution: Volume Two. The Origins of Modern Homosexuality. (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, forthcoming.)
Sex and the Gender Revolution: Volume One. Heterosexuality and the Third Gender in Enlightenment London. (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1998.) Chicago Series on Sexuality, History and Society, ed. John C. Fout. xiii + 509 pp.
The Rise of the Egalitarian Family: Aristocratic Kinship and Domestic Relations in Eighteenth-Century England (New York and London: Academic Press, 1978). xx + 324 pp. Studies in Social Discontinuity, ed. Charles Tilly and Edward Shorter. Translated by Davide Panzieri as, La Nascita della famiglia equalitaria, Lignaccio e famiglianell' aristocrazia del ' 700 inglese (Bologna: il Mulino, 1982). 455 pp.
Essays in Books and Journals
- “Blackmail for Sodomy in 18th-Century London,” Historical Reflections/ Réflexions Historiques 33 (2007): 23-39.
- “The Heterosexual Male in Eighteenth-Century London and his Queer Interactions,” Love, Sex, Intimacy and Friendship between Men, 1550-1800, ed. Katherine O’Donnell and Michael O’Rourke (London: Palgrave/MacMillan 2003), 99-127.
- "London," Queer Sites: Gay Urban Histories Since 1600, ed. David Higgs (New York and London: Rotledge, 1999)
- "Are Modern Western Lesbian Wome and Gay Men a Third Gender?, " A Queer World: The Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader, ed. Martin Duberman (New York: New York University Press, 1997), pp. 87- 99.
- "The Origins and Development of Modern Lesbian Role in the Western Gender System: Northwestern Europe and the United States, 1750-1990," Historical Reflections / Ré flexions Historiques, 20 (1994) 287- 320.
- "Erotic Fantasy and Male Libertinism in Enlightenment England," The Invention of Pornography: Obscenity and the Origins of Modernity, 1500-1800, ed. Lynn Hunt (New York: Zone Books, 1993), pp. 253-282, 381- 390.