- Ewen, Stuart
- Distinguished Professor, History
- Distinguished Professor, American Studies
- U.S. History, historian of consumer culture, propaganda, visual culture, the human sciences and of dominant ideas regarding human equality and inequality
- Ph.D. in History, SUNY at Albany
Visual culture, social and historical roots of the modern media culture, arts and sciences of human inequality, etc.
Broad Areas of Dissertation Supervision
American social and cultural history, history of ideas in Europe and the United States
Stuart Ewen and Elizabeth Ewen, Typecasting: On the Arts & Sciences of Human Inequality. Revised edition. New York, Seven Stories, 2008, originally 2006.
Captains of Consciousness: Advertising and the Social Roots of the Consumer Culture. 25th Anniversary Edition. New York, Basic Books, 2001, originally 1976.
French edition, Paris (Edition Aubiers Montaigne/Editions Champs Urbain) 1983, and Italian edition, Rome (De Donato) 1988.
- All Consuming Images: The Politics of Style in Contemporary Culture. Revised Edition. New York, Basic Books, 1999, originally 1988.
- Japanese translation, Tokyo (Shobun Sha, 1990). World Spanish Edition (Editorial Grijalbo, Madrid and Mexico City,1992). Italian Edition (Franco Angeli, Milan, 1993).
- PR! A Social History of Spin. New York, Basic Books, 1996.
- Elizabeth Ewen, Channels of Desire: Mass Images and the Shaping of American Consciousness. Revised Edition. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota, 1990, originally 1982. Japanese translation, Tokyo (Shobun Sha) 1988.
- Michael Cherniavsky, Arthur Slaven, Stuart Ewen, (eds.), Social Texture of Western Civilization: The Lower Depths (II). New York, NY (Wiley) 1972
Books and other writings translated into French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish and other languages. Most recently, Stuart Ewen, Elizabeth Ewen, Typen und Stereotype: Die Geschichte des Vorurteils. Berlin, Parthas Verlag, 2009. Also, “Mamae, papai e as crianças: rumo a uma arquitetura moderna da vida cotidiana,” in Bravo mundo novo: Novas configuraçòes da comunicaçao e do consumo. Sao Paolo Brazil, Alameda, 2009.
Articles, Reviews, Published Interviews and Remarks:
Stuart Ewen, "Visiting Edward Bernays." Adbusters Quarterly: Journal of the Mental Environment. Volume 3, Number 3, Winter 19995.
"Culture Maker, " CultureFront, June, 1994.
"Dynamic Obsolescence," and "Notes for the New Millennium""
In Michael Bierut, Bill Drenttel, Steven Heller, D.K. Holland (eds.), Looking Closer: Writings on Graphic Design. New York (Allworth) 1994. In Press.
"Absolute Doublethink" in Jan van Toorn, Ole Bouman and Jeanne van Heswijk (eds.), And Justice for all..., Masstricht, Netherlands (Jan van Eyck Akademie and The Dutch Ministry of Culture). 1994.