Visiting Research Scholars

Visiting Research Scholar program at the Graduate Center involves two processes. The first process is focused on verifying a potential scholar seems capable of adding usefully to the academic discourse at the university, and that the required details of the proposed visit and proper documents are present. That process is managed by the Office of the Provost. Visitors cannot nominate themselves. They are usually brought to the attention of a program or center by a faculty member. Each scholar must have a faculty advisor who will oversee the research or collaborate with the visitor as appropriate. Visitors are not eligible to serve as Principal Investigators on Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) applications. All scholars should provide a statement of intent, explaining what they hope to accomplish.

Only the Executive Officer of a program or the Director of a center may request Visiting Research Scholar status for a proposed guest. 
A formal request on letterhead should be made, addressed to Provost Steve Everett, and including the scholar's statement of intent and current CV. Two forms must also be completed:(a) the J-1 Visa/Export Control questionnaire that must be completed by the host/sponsor faculty member, Principal Investigator or researcher’s immediate supervisor, and (b) J-1 Foreign Influence Due Diligence Form that must be completed by the prospective J-1 candidate. All supporting material must be in English. These forms must be approved by CUNY Central before any action is taken on visas, etc.
Include your formal request as an attachment in an email to
Questions should be sent to the Provost's Office.

The request for status must have the name exactly as it appears on the scholar's official identification (e.g. state I.D. card, passport). Please state clearly whether or not you are seeking visa assistance for your scholar. The request must be for a visit with a specific start date and end date.  To allow for the unexpected the start date should be a little earlier than the earliest day the scholar intends to come, and the end date should be a little bit later than the latest day the scholar plans to leave. Please do not submit your request until there is a firm agreement with the scholar on this visit window. The scholar’s institutional affiliation must be noted. Also indicate if a scholar anticipates Fulbright support. Fulbright forms should be forwarded to the Office of the Provost for completion. Finally, please add one of the following sentences to your request: “This work will not require any additional office space.” or "[Scholar's name] understands The Graduate Center cannot provide a separate office to pursue this project.” to confirm that the scholar is aware that, unfortunately, we cannot offer space.

Naturally, requests for Visiting Research Scholar status must precede the visitor. Submit requests at least three months before the proposed start date. Sending your request with three months lead time or more shows consideration to your colleagues making requests and gives the offices involved time to properly assist you. Non-citizens may become Visiting Research Scholars by participating in the Exchange Visitor Program (see below) facilitated by the Department of State. Scholars must make their own travel arrangements. American citizens and those with dual citizenship may also be Visiting Research Scholars. If the visit is approved, the Executive Officer or Director is sent an official letter from the Provost authorizing the visit and customary privileges (e.g. computer account). 

The second part of the Visiting Research Scholar process ensures that a non-citizen visitor is eligible for the Exchange Visitor Program and, if so, assisting with immigration. The Office of Human Resources manages that process. Visiting Research Scholars from abroad who do not wish to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program are not eligible for visa assistance from the Graduate Center.