Registration, Tuition Refund, and Satisfactory Progress

Most administrative matters pertaining to registration, tuition refunds, and satisfactory progress reports are handled by the Registrar's Office at The Graduate Center. Please refer to the website for the Registrar's Office for all official GC policies, and for updates on University-wide forms and procedures.

The Psychology Executive Office has instituted additional policies to help students with the forms and procedures required by the Registrar's Office. These are outlined under the headings below, and are intended to ease the process of completing forms correctly and obtaining official signatures.

If you still have questions after reviewing the information below, please contact the APO of Academic Support and Student Progress at

Registration, Tuition Refund, and Satisfactory Progress

Please see the headings below for forms, requirements, and procedures related to registration, tuition refunds, and satisfactory progress:

The Graduate Center Bulletin: Registration (p. 23)

All Graduate Center students, regardless of where they are studying, register through The Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016 (seventh floor). All students are required to be in status each semester. This means that students must either be registered or be on an approved leave of absence.

Information regarding registration procedures will be emailed to eligible students. The student will be advised on curriculum by his or her Executive Officer or academic advisor. Specific offerings to be given in a particular semester are listed in the Class Schedule, available online here.

Students delinquent in their financial accounts (or library obligations) will be denied the opportunity to register as well as the issuance of their transcripts or their degree diplomas. In addition, students who fail to meet satisfactory progress requirements, who have not fulfilled New York State immunization laws, or who have outstanding obligations to the Offices of Financial Aid, Admissions, or Residence Life may be denied the opportunity to register.

When and how to register on record with Weighted Instructional Units (WIU) for Ph.D. students:

  • If you are Level I or Level II and you are not planning to take any courses for the semester, you will need to register for Register on Record (ROR 1and Weighted Instructional Units (WIU 7) to maintain your full time status. This will certify you as full time and will not affect any funding you will be receiving.

NOTE: If you only register for Weighted Instructional Units (WIU 7) you will not be registered as full time. If you only register for Register on Record (ROR 1) you will not be registered as full time. You must register for both (WIU 7 and ROR 1)  to be officially Registered on Record and to maintain full time status.

  • If you are taking courses that add up to less than 7 credits, you will need to register for the appropriate number of Weighted Instructional Units (WIU 1 - WIU 6) along with the courses you are taking to equal 7 credits in order to maintain your full time status.

  • Weighted Instructional Units are billable if you are not paying a flat tuition rate. Registration must be completed prior to the start of the term.

  • WIUs are used by Level I and Level II students only. Level III students do not register for WIUs.

  • The WIU CRN # changes every semester.

NOTE: New students cannot file for an e-permit until Fall grades are submitted and recorded. 

Reminder: In addition to filing the e-permit with the GC, students must enroll in the course at the designated CUNY Campus as well.

For Psychology Students

Graduate Center students interested in taking a course at a consortium school can fill out part one of the Permit Out Consortium Form (found on the GC Consortium web page). For your reference, we have a SAMPLE Permit Out Consortium Form.

The above form requires the Department Executive Officer and the VP of Student Affairs approval. 

Please send the completed form and the instructor’s permission to take the course as email attachments to the APO at The APO will get the EO’s signature and will forward the paperwork on to the Office of Student Affairs. 

Once students have part one of the Permit Out Consortium form filled out, they will be notified by Sheila Berman,, if the form is approved by the Vice President of Student Affairs. Upon approval, the student will be given part two of the Permit out Consortium form, the Inter-University Doctoral Consortium Registration Form. This form requires the IUDC Coordinator and the instructor signature from the host school and the program Executive Director and the Registrar's signature from the home school. 

Consortium Courses

Students taking courses at another university are subject, in those courses, to the registration and academic regulations of the host university, including the grading system, calendar, and academic honor system. It is the responsibility of the students to familiarize themselves with the pertinent regulations of the host university.

Graduate Center students pay tuition to The Graduate Center for any cross-registered courses they take.

There is a two-course limit per semester.

The Graduate Center Bulletin: Satisfactory Academic Progress
(p. 20)

Students must be making satisfactory progress toward the degree in order to maintain status at The Graduate Center and to be eligible for any student financial assistance. A student is deemed not to be making satisfactory progress if:

  • he or she has a grade point average below 3.00,
  • has accumulated more than two open grades (“INC,” “INP,” “NGR,” “ABS,” or “ABP”),
  • has completed 45 credits without having passed the First Examination,
  • has completed 10 semesters without having passed the Second Examination,
  • has received two “NRP” grades in succession,
  • or has exceeded the time limit for the degree.

The Graduate Center reviews each student’s record every semester. If formal standards have not been met, a student may register (and receive financial aid, if otherwise eligible) only upon petition of the student’s Executive Officer to the Vice President for Student Affairs. Students whose petitions are approved are considered to be making satisfactory progress toward the degree and are eligible to receive financial aid.

Please refer to the sections on “Incomplete Grades,” “Standards for Retention,” “Computation of Grade Point Average,” and “Time Limits for Degrees,” which appear in the Student Handbook’s section on “Academic Policies and Procedures” for additional information.

Students who are employed as graduate assistants on departmental adjunct lines, or as research assistants by individual grant holders, must show satisfactory performance in these activities. If this performance is found to be unsatisfactory, such employment may be terminated. This type of termination is independent of satisfactory academic progress.

For Psychology students
Please use the form:  

Non-degree students interested in taking courses at The Graduate Center should consult the Office of the Registrar for registration eligibility. Enrollment in courses by students who have not been accepted for admission to The Graduate Center is at the discretion of each academic program. In no instance will anyone be permitted to accumulate a total of more than two courses or eight credits (whichever is less) as a nonmatriculant without written approval from the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

  • The first step to become a non-degree student or to register as a Permit student from another CUNY College is to contact the Executive Officer of the program that you are interested in, noting the course/s and requesting signed written permission on that department's letterhead. In Psychology, please contact the APO at
  • After you receive the department's written permission, first time non-degree and audit applicants or first time Permit students from another CUNY College or Consortium School should contact the Office of the Registrar for the Application Form For Non-Matriculated/Auditor/Permit or Consortium Students.
  • Forward both the department written permission and the completed application form back to the Office of the Registrar for review prior to the filing for readmission and non-degree application deadline. Further registration instructions will be provided. Incomplete applications will not be processed.