Learning Goals For Examinations
First Doctoral Exam
- Students will learn to generate testable hypotheses;
- Students will develop the ability to design research studies that employ both correlational and experimental methods;
- Students will develop the ability to design research studies in accordance with ethical guidelines;
- Students will learn to apply various methods for data analysis;
- Student will learn to interpret results from statistical analyses.
Second Doctoral Exam
- Students will learn to critique research studies from the literature in their area of interest;
- Students will learn to integrate findings from a body of literature and generate their own testable hypotheses;
- Students will learn to conceptualize and discuss at the level of a professional the literature within their specified area of interest.
Third Exam (Dissertation Defense)
- Students will develop awareness of principles necessary for the codes and requirements necessary for the ethical and legal conduct of research;
- Students will learn how to successfully conduct and complete Institutional Review Board (IRB) - approved empirically based research projects;
- Students will learn to conduct independent research including study design, data collection, data analysis, and interpretation of findings;
- Students will learn to write a professional-level research report.