Public Safety and Security
The mission of the Office of Security and Public Safety is to promote a safe and secure environment in a minimally intrusive manner that strives to protect and respect the rights and dignity of the individual. The protection of our students, staff, faculty and visitors, along with its premises and property, is not a peripheral factor but central to the achievement of The Graduate Center's educational, research and cultural mission. The Office of Security & Public Safety is committed to providing a comprehensive and progressive program of security, public safety, crime prevention, emergency response, fire safety and other related services.
Reporting an Emergency:
You can report an emergency in the following ways:
- Call 911 to report emergencies directly to the New York City Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Services. If calling 911 while on campus dial 9 followed by 911 and also call Security & Public Safety at x7777 so we can expedite the emergency response
- Call x7777 to contact Security & Public Safety, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Press the Emergency Assistance Stations located in corridors and places of public assembly throughout the building. Emergency Assistance Stations are circular in shape and lit for high visibility. Pressing the blue, center section sends a signal to the electronic security console and an officer is then sent to the station’s location.
- Press the Emergency Tape Switches mounted on rest room walls. This device is white in color and similar to the device used on buses to request a stop. When pressed, a signal is sent to the electronic security console and an officer is then sent to that tape switch location.
- For smoke or fire, pull the Fire Alarm Pull Boxes, which are bright red in color, located adjacent to all fire exits. Lifting the cover and pulling down the handle activates the alarm. A signal is sent to the fire command station in the main lobby and to a central dispatch station that notifies the FDNY. When pulled, this device will also activate an audible fire alarm on the floor where pulled and the floor above.
Security & Public Safety (24 Hours): 212-817-7777
Director of Public Safety Executive Director of Institutional Services: 212-817-7761
Environmental Health & Safety: 212-817-7761
Facilities Services & Campus Planning: 212-817-7730
Wellness Center: 212-817-7020
University Emergency Notification System
CUNY Alert allows you to receive text, email and/or voice alerts of emergencies or weather related closings on your campus. You can choose your campus or office locations, phone numbers for voice and text messages, and/or email addresses for emergency notifications delivered directly to you.Learn more and subscribe
Stay Alert and Informed
A truly safe campus can only be achieved through the cooperation of all its students, staff and faculty. It is up to all of us to take precautions to prevent ourselves from becoming victims of crime or environmental threats.
See the following frequently requested resources and services:
Guides and Resources
Protect yourself and your community by reviewing our guides, policies, and procedures on important safety and security topics.