Explosion/Downed Aircraft Procedure
In the event a mishap occurs, such as an explosion or a downed aircraft (crash) in the area, take the following actions:
- Immediately take cover under tables, desks and other objects that will give protection against falling glass or debris.
- Immediately after the effects of the explosion and/or fire have subsided, notify Security & Public Safety at x7777. Give your name and describe the location and nature of the emergency.
- If the building evacuation alarm is sounded, or when you are told to leave by emergency response personnel, walk to the nearest marked exit and ask others to do the same.
- Assist the disabled in exiting the building. Do not use elevators in case of fire. Do not panic. Remain calm.
- Once outside, move to a clear area away from the affected building(s). Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- A Campus Emergency Command Post may be set up near the disaster site. Keep clear of the Command Post unless you have official business.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless instructed to do so by emergency response personnel.