Sheltering in place simply means seeking immediate shelter inside a building. This course of action may be necessary during a release of toxic chemicals to the outside air. Air quality may be threatened and sheltering in place keeps you inside an area offering more protection.
- Stay inside the building.
- Close all doors and windows.
- Seal off openings to your room if possible.
- Do not use elevators as they may pump air through the building.
- Remain in place until you are told that it is safe to leave.