International Travel Requirements for Current Students


Mandatory notification requirements and travel insurance for international academic travel* by graduate students for independent research, internships, language study, practicums, conference attendance/presentation, or job interviews regardless of the source of funding.

Please note that this policy does not pertain to leisure travel and family visits.

CUNY’s policy on domestic and international travel during the pandemic is posted here, with further details in CUNY’s Academic Continuity Guidance to campuses.  This will evolve in response to the pandemic.  The following process is based on the premise that all domestic and international travel for reasons of employment or study is suspended, but that a waiver petition process is available in limited circumstances.

All out-of-state and international travel associated with a student’s academic program or an employee’s work responsibilities, including funded research, is suspended during the COVID-19 pandemic.  Any travel must be approved via waiver petition in advance.  We recommend submitting the petition in time to allow you to avoid making any financial or other commitments before the petition has been reviewed.  This also applies to travel for which you plan to use RF, PSC or other CUNY associated or administered funding; funding requires documentation that your petition was approved before travel.  No petitions will be considered after the onset of travel, and petitioners should allow sufficient time for multiple levels of review. 

CUNY encourages all employees and students to get vaccinated to protect their own health and the health of their communities.  If vaccination is part of your safety plan, you are encouraged to provide details in your petition.  Your petition should be consistent with the CDC’s guidance on travel for vaccinated or non-vaccinated individuals, as appropriate.
Travel is suspended for all activities related to CUNY study or employment.  This includes activities that are intended to eventually transfer back to CUNY for credit, or that would fulfill any degree requirements.  Enrollment in non-CUNY study abroad programs is highly discouraged at this time and is not eligible for the waiver petition process.  Any credits earned on such programs cannot be transferred back.

This policy will be updated as conditions allow, but all cases will be assessed based on the policy in place on the date of program start.


Please note that students enrolled in NYSHIP or any other medical insurance plan (GHI, AETNA, etc.) are required to purchase separate travel insurance. Most plans including NYSHIP do not cover international accident/medical, evacuation for medical or security reasons, and repatriation of remains.

*International travel is classified as any student travel that takes place outside of the fifty states of the United States of America. Trips to Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories and protectorates are considered international trips.

Independent Academic Travel Defined

Independent Academic Travel is any international travel by a student for the purpose of pursuing research or internship activities related to academic work at CUNY.  This includes travel by graduate students for independent research, language study, internships, practicums, conference attendance/presentation, or job interviews regardless of the source of funding.

Sponsored Trips Defined

For purposes of these guidelines, a Sponsored Trip is any international travel that is (1) sponsored or organized by a CUNY college, office, department, or division, or a recognized and chartered student organization, or otherwise organized  by a CUNY faculty member or administrator in his or her official CUNY capacity, and  (2) funded by any monies in the control of the college, the University, or a University/College-related entity, including the CUNY Research Foundation, a college auxiliary enterprise corporation, GC Center or Institute or a college association/student services corporation. Sponsored trip organizers must obtain approval from the Provost.

Students receiving any GC travel/research funds (including but not limited to Dissertation Fellowship Awards, Doctoral Student Research Grants, Conference Presentation Support, etc.) who do not submit a CUNY Independent Travel Notification, Waiver, and Emergency Contact Form and/or are not enrolled in the University’s international insurance or comparable program will not receive funding for the purpose of travel. Students receiving any other financial support from the GC and who travel internationally for academic/research purposes, may jeopardize their funding if they do not purchase the appropriate insurance and submit the waiver.  
CUNY International Travel Guidelines <pdf>


Forms must be submitted to the Office of the Vice President for Students Affairs two weeks prior to departure.

For Independent Travelers

CUNY faculty or staff who are planning CUNY-sponsored international travel must consult the university guidelines and requirements for sponsored trips, which include the requirement that a “program director must submit a sponsored trip proposal to the Office of the Provost [at least] six months before the proposed trip.”

Policies, documents, and other resources pertaining to sponsored trips can be found in CUNY International Travel Guidelines and CUNY Study Abroad -  Before you go.

For any questions or additional information, please contact the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs or