Congratulations and welcome to The Graduate Center!
This One Stop Services page has been developed to guide you through a range of new student tasks. Please review the information below to be sure you have completed all necessary steps prior to the start of the semester. Questions should be directed to the relevant offices. General questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review the information that pertains to you:
ALL DOCTORAL AND MASTER’S STUDENTS
If you are a master’s student or a doctoral student with a Tuition Fellowship only or have funding from outside of the Graduate Center, you do not need to complete the Human Resources Paperwork. All new students should review the list below of other administrative services.
Things to do after being admitted:
- Make sure you have cleared any remaining admissions holds.
- Comply with immunization requirements from the Wellness Center.
- Apply for loans or other federal financial aid options. (For inquiries regarding university fellowships or grants, please see your academic department.)
- Doctoral Students should review the following tips to be sure they are paid on time: What You Need to Know to be Paid on Time (U.S. Students); What You Need to Know to be Paid on Time (International Students).
- Activate your CUNYfirst Account and set up CUNYFirst direct deposit if you have financial aid funding. (See additional information regarding CUNYfirst).
- Activate your Graduate Center Account (including your Graduate Center email and Graduate Center Network account.) Please see this link (pdf) for information about your different accounts.
- If you are an International Student, be sure to check in with the Office of International Students and make arrangements to attend the International Student Orientation session.
- If you have a disability and would like to discuss accommodations for the upcoming semester, please contact Clare Wilson at 212-817-7400 or Cwilson1@gc.cuny.edu.
- Find out about your program’s registration and advisement procedures in order to register for classes. Registration for new students begins August 15, 2022.
- If you have not yet established New York State residency, see these Residency Tips and the Residency Application.
- If your tuition is not covered by your fellowship, you can pay your bill at the Bursar's Office or Online.
- Sign up for CUNY Alert to receive Graduate Center emergency or weather related text and voice alerts via your cell, home phone or email.
- Learn more about the GC and CUNY's Title IX policy.
- Check out the borrowing guide to find out how to access library resources.
- ID Cards - please see this information sheet for instructions on how to obtain your Graduate Center ID card.
- HRPP Informational Material - learn about Human Subjects Research
DOCTORAL STUDENT FELLOWSHIP RECIPIENTS
Please note that recipients of multi-year fellowships (Graduate Center Fellows, CUNY Science Scholars, Science Fellows, Provost's Enhancement Fellows, and Neuroscience Fellows) and all new one-year Graduate Assistant B or Graduate Assistant D fellowship recipients must complete Graduate Assistant New Hire Paperwork detailed below.
Once you submit the required forms, you will be contacted to schedule a brief I-9 Verification Meeting online starting in July.
MULTI-YEAR FELLOWSHIP RECIPIENTS
Instructions for Graduate Assistantship Appointments
If you have a fellowship with a Graduate Assistantship please complete the forms listed below and save them to your files.
Once you have completed the necessary forms and made scans of your I-9 documents, please submit the forms through the One Stop Virtual Drop Off Service.
You will need your Graduate Center login credentials to access the upload site, you should have received this information in a separate email. Do not submit the forms below by email, they contain personal information and should only be submitted using the secure virtual drop off link.
If you have questions about the forms, you can contact: email@example.com.The Human Resources Office will be onboarding new graduate assistants starting in July. In order to receive your first paycheck on time in the fall you must complete all forms and attend the HR session before August 15.
Forms to complete and submit:
- W-4 Federal Tax Form
- IT- 2104 State Tax Form
- Direct Deposit Form (The agency/dept code is 70090.) NOTE: This is payroll direct deposit which is separate from Financial Aid/CUNYFirst direct deposit.
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form (along with this form, please scan the documents you are using for verification, see p. 4 for list of acceptable documents). This form is also available online here.
- Include a scan of your Social Security Card for payroll.
- Employee Data Collection Form
- Emergency Contact Information Form
- Release of Information Form
- Amended Constitutional Oath Form
- NYSHIP Health Insurance Enrollment Form for questions about the NYSHIP form, please see the information below or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Human Resources Checklist
Informational Materials for Health Insurance:
For information about NYSHIP Student Health Insurance, please see the 2022 NYSHIP Benefits document, the sample enrollment form, and the coverage and provider list.
Informational Materials for Human Resources:
- I-9 Instructions and Information
- Graduate Assistant Fact Sheet and Graduate Assistantships
- Insurance Marketplace and Employer Healthcare Information
- Memo on Compliance with Federal Employment Eligibility Certification Procedures
- Payroll Calendar
- Release of Information Memo
- Commuter Card Information
- Union Membership Information
- As a graduate student-worker, your wages, benefits, and working conditions are negotiated and defended by your union, the Professional Staff Congress (PSC), which represents 30,000 faculty and staff at CUNY and the CUNY Research Foundation. To become a member of the union you must sign a membership authorization card online.